Thursday, December 11, 2008

Egg Substitution

From Aliisa:

Today I decided to make some banana muffins, so I got out all my ingredients and began stirring it all together only to find (after everything is in the bowl) oh no...I have no eggs. Now at this point there are lots of things running through my head...I could put it in the fridge until tomorrow when I can get eggs, I know there is a substitution using soy flour but I dont have any, am I going to have to waste this batch? And all sorts of others. So I got online to see if there is another substitution other than soy flour. Well guess what? There are several.

So I thought I would share a few:

This is the one I used:
2 tablespoons gluten flour or unbleached white flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 2 tablespoons water

You can also use:
As Binders
1/2 large mashed banana
1/4 cup apple sauce or pureed prunes
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons water, 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon baking powder
Combine one packet of unflavored gelatin with one cup boiling water - 3 tablespoons of this mixture equal one egg
1 tablespoon apricot puree
1/4 cup of soft tofu
1/4 cup soy milk

As Leavening
2 tablespoons carbonated water and 2 teaspoons baking flour
1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon water, and 1 tablespoon vinegar (add vinegar separately at the end for rising)
Dissolve 1 teaspoon yeast in 1/4 cup warm water
1 heaping tablespoon of soy flour and one tablespoon water
1 tablespoon bean flour and 1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder mixed with 3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons gluten flour or unbleached white flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons corn, 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 2 tablespoons water

Hope this helps if you ever need to substitute. Mine worked out great!!!

No comments: