Friday, January 2, 2009

2009 Begins

From Sundy:

Well, I finally got to make my laundry soap last night. Leave it to me to have a mini-adventure while making laundry soap. Apparently, I cannot let myself get sidetracked by anything while cooking. LOL

I was, I thought, gently heating the water to melt the soap. Either *I* put it on high heat or someone else walking through the kitchen was "helping" me, because when I next walked through the kitchen, it was to the very nice smell of the Zote, and the very nasty pink bubbly mess of soap boiling over on my stove! Wow...one of the things that I'm going to have to work on this year is to STAY IN THE KITCHEN if the stove is on.

Of course, this is much better than walking into the kitchen to find my cooking oil has caught fire and begun merrily burning my overhead cabinets. But still. Baked-on Zote is not fun to clean.

New Year's Eve was uneventful...pleasantly so. I did not drink at all. We went to our friends' house, where they had BBQ and wild-eyed children tossing fireworks, while bleary-eyed adults watched them (sorta). My stomach was upset pretty quickly watching these kids play with fireworks near a bonfire, and I asked to be taken home at 10:30. So we did, and watched the ball drop on TV, like the grandparents that we are. LOL

Fireworks freak me out. That's just the way it is. I can watch others pop them from a distance, and I can let my boys pop them with other adults, but I personally won't do it myself....and I'm always on edge the entire time. They're pretty, yes...but I'm fully aware of their unpredictability.

When I was a young adult, my sister and I and our boyfriends went to watch the beach fireworks display from a boat. A rack of fireworks fell over right after they were ignited, and without warning we had fireworks going off in the air about 10-20 feet over our heads as we cowered in the bottom of the boat. So, yeah...that's my problem.

Yes, I am a mess. Hopefully that's good for something, somewhere.

No comments: