Friday, November 14, 2008

Altogether Tamale Pie

From Aliisa:

Well its recipe swap time again at the Grocery Cart Challenge. If you havent checked it out, head over there. Gayle has lots of useful information as well as lots of recipes to look at.

Today, Im sharing my Altogether Tamale Pie Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 c. yellow corn meal
1 1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 c. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves or garlic powder
3/4 lb. ground meat (I used turkey)
2 c. canned tomatoes, crushed ( I used diced because that's what I keep on hand)
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix or 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 c. whole kernel corn or 1 can of corn
6 oz grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Mix the first 3 ingredients and set aside. Cook onion, meat, tomatoes, garlic and chili seasoning together. Add corn and mix. Pour in corn meal mixture and pour into a casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick is clean from the center. Sprinkle cheese on top and return to oven until melted.

1 comment:

Aliisa said...

Awesome! I love tamales, but they cost a little more than I'm willing to pay...and making them is a little too labor-intensive for my tastes, unless I were to have a few helping hands to make several dozen.

This looks like the perfect substitute! :) Thanks!