Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Frugal Christmas present idea

From Sundy:

One idea that I've used many times in the last 20 years is extremely frugal (at least for me). I cut out words, phrases, and pictures from various magazines that describe the person for whom I'm making the gift. Then I decoupage them on the inside of a wooden box (the smallest ones at Walmart cost 97 cents). Then I will either paint the outside in the person's favorite color or leave it unfinished with a layer of decoupage over the outside. I suppose one could also put the person's name on the outside.

Voila! The receiver can open the box anytime to see all the love and care and thought inside. Mostly I've made this gift for guys (the majority of men that I know love boxes to put stuff in), but it would work for girls, too.

The decoupage medium is sold at Walmart. I believe it was about $5 the last time I bought some, and I have enough still in the bottle for several more boxes. I've heard you can also use white glue, but I've never tried it.

I cut up an old clean dish sponge to apply the medium, and although I have bought boxes before, I've also used old ring and watch boxes, as well as an old child's jewelry box before.

It is one of the most frugal gifts I've given. My husband still has the one that I made for him while we were dating.

No comments: