Friday, November 7, 2008

Poor, poor gullible me! :)

From Sundy:

One of my hubby's favorite pastime is to tell me something outrageous just to see if I'll believe it. Actually, now that I think about it, most of my past boyfriends had the same hobby. One told me that a crazy, axe-wielding man had caused the scar on his shin...years later, I found out that I had bought a tall tale-- hook, line and sinker. Another told me that he had been an internationally renowned cliff diver in Mexico. His parents were QUITE surprised when I told them that, since they hadn't known...and he had a really good laugh at my expense. Oh joy.

Ya know, some of these I could put down to just me being young and very, very trusting and naive at the time. But now I'm older. And I still buy the occasional "guy lie." (Note: I hope I'm being clear that these are cases of teasing jokesters...not the same as when someone lies to try to hide or get away with something. Those destroy trust...these are more like pranks, if you see what I'm saying.)

Here's a years' old memory...hubby had taken me to a club, where he proceeded to buy me shots of something really yummy called "Goldschlager." I had three or four of them, in addition to a beer.

Now, it should be noted that I am a "two-beer girl." I cannot drink more than two beers without getting much too loopy for my own good. And I rarely do mixed drinks anymore. But those tiny glasses of cinnamon-flavored, gold-flaked tastiness were irresistible...at least, until I told my husband at 10 pm that it was time to pour me into the car and take me home, 'cause the room was spinning!

On the 5 mile journey back to the house, I asked him to please pull over so I could be sick.

"I can't, honey, there's a cop behind us. Just breathe in and out...relax...it's just a couple more minutes until you're in bed. You can do this."

So I followed his instructions, slowly breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. I closed my eyes...oops! That's not good. I opened them and kept my eyes on the car taillights in front of us. Finally, we were home.

"Feeling better?" he asks, and when I nod, he says, "That's good, 'cause there never was a cop behind us."

No comments: