Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Easy Cheeseburger Pie

From Sundy:

Here's a last-minute throw-together I made last night. I'm sure there are versions of this recipe all over the Internet, but here's my version. It took me less than 15 minutes to put the whole thing together, and about 8 minutes to cook.


(***I added extra garlic because we're all sick, and garlic is a natural antibiotic.)

1 med onion
1-2 T minced garlic***
olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey
Cheese (8-16 oz, depending on taste)
1 can refrigerator biscuits

1. Sweat out 1 chopped medium onion and 1-2 tablespoons of garlic in some olive oil, then brown 1 lb. of ground turkey in the same pan. Some of the onion will carmelize as all the ingredients cook, giving it a sweetish flavor. Add salt, pepper, etc. to taste. Strain if necessary.

2. Pour your meat mixture into a 9x9 casserole dish and top with cheese. I used Velveeta because that's what I had on hand, but you could use any kind of cheese you like.

3. Open and separate refrigerator biscuits. Mash each biscuit until it's a little flatter, then top your casserole with the biscuits. Bake according to biscuit directions.

4. I added some ketchup and a little bit of pickle relish to my portion, which made it taste even more like a "5 & dime" cheeseburger.

My son and husband really seemed to enjoy this dish, so it's been put on my mental "repeat recipe" list. :) (Oh...I forgot to say that I also added leftover canned corn to the meat mixture to use it up. No one even noticed!)

No comments: