Friday, November 7, 2008

Buying groceries

From Sundy:

I have a little trick that I use in the grocery store (along with all of the wonderful advice that I've read in myriads of articles, blogs, etc.). There is the sage advice to never shop when you're hungry. Then there's the very sound suggestion that you shop with cash only and stick to your list (my list is in my head, but I can usually handle that). There's also the less-repeated piece of wisdom that says you should shop during off-peak hours so that you won't make hasty decisions just so you can get out of a crowded store.

My own personal trick? As I drop each item into my cart, I round up to the nearest dollar in my head and keep a running total as I shop. (Of course, this means that I need to shop alone, so I am not distracted.)

My trip might go something like this. Drop in a 10 pound bag of potatoes at $2.50. That's 3. Add three loaves of bread...4, 5, 6. Five cans of beans...7, 8. Chuck in a reduced turkey breast that isn't on my list, but is a GREAT bargain...9, 10, 11.

And on I go, until I get to the checkout. This way, I am very rarely surprised by the total amount due. It's what works for me.

3 comments:

Aliisa said...

From Aliisa:

I do round up when calculating my groceries but I cant shop without a list. I prepare my list all week long, I write the things I have either run out of or am about to run out of and then I add all the sale items I am getting to it. If I went to the store without that list I would forget the items that I dont buy often.

I guess I just have too much going on in my head all the time that I cant keep a running list constantly in my head!

Of course...we all know that I live by the list!!

Aliisa said...

From Sundy:
I love that you use a list! (I hope I've never implied otherwise.) It's one of the things that makes you so wonderfully organized.

I'm not sure why I rarely use a written list anymore. I know that I used to use them all the time, esp. for errands.

I do have a markerboard on my fridge where we list items we need to get. But I always "see" the markerboard in my head, because I see it so much before I actually go to the store, so I generally don't need to write it down.

Sally said...

Maybe you have a photographic memory!