Friday, October 17, 2008

Beefy Asian Rice

From Aliisa:

We really enjoy this meal, it makes alot and it tastes great!!

Beefy Asian Rice
Serves: 6 Start to Finish time: under 25 minutes

2 cans (14oz each) beef broth (I either use homemade or bullion to make it)
1 cup long grain rice
1 pound ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey all work great)
1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion
2 carrots
8 oz fresh button mushrooms (i have made this without the mushrooms also and its still great)
5 cloves of fresh garlic, minced or 1 1/2 T bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup regular or reduced sodium soy sauce.
2 T ketchup
2 T rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
1 T minced ginger or bottled ginger
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 tsp Asian sasame oil

Directions:

1. Cook the rice in the beef broth

2. Heat oil and cook onions and carrots. Then add mushrooms to the skillet. Saute for a minute and then add the ground meat. Drain any fat.

3. Add garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar and ginger. Stir well and reduce heat to low. Add peas and sasame oil and stir. When rice is done, add to the skillet and stir until combined.

Serve at once passing additional soy sauce at the table if desired.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh, this looks yummy, and I was just looking at my garlic bulbs in my cupboard and thinking that I need to use them up soon :) I think this will be a good new recipe to try :)

Miriam said...

when I click the title to this post, it takes me to Gayle's blog... is it supposed to do that? I was trying to link to the recipe (from my blog), that's how I found out :) I'll just link to your blog instead :)