Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pumpkin Butter

From Aliisa:

My normal routine at this time of year is to gather my family up and head to the pumpkin patch where we scrutinize each and every pumpkin to find the proper size and shape for carving. Then we gather around the kitchen table and carve the pumpkin that we then watch rot and decay outside until its totally disgusting. Fun huh?

This year we decided to do something a little different. We talked to Emily (our 8 year old) and told her that we were going to have a more frugal halloween. Instead of going to the pumpkin patch, we went to the farmer's market where we got an even bigger pumpkin than usual for only $8. That is alot less money that it usually costs us for a smaller one. Then I bought 2 little ones for $1.10 each. We have decided not to carve our giant pumpkin until the day before halloween and then we are not putting a candle in it. This way, we can use the pumpkin after we are done. Emily has lots of plans for that pumpkin and it looks like I might have homemade pumpkin pie in my future.

Last night, I decided to attempt to do something with one of the small pumpkins. So I searched the internet for pumpkin butter recipes. If you have never had pumpkin butter....it is truly wonderful. I ended up using this recipe: pumpkin butter. It turned out great!! We love it on pancakes, biscuits and toast!! And it really didnt take that long since I cooked my pumpkin in the microwave and then pureed it.

Im thinking that pumpkin muffins might be the next thing in our future!!

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Pumpkin butter? I've NEVER heard of it! Is it kinda a pumpkin version of apple or pear butter? It sounds SOOOOOoooo good, I might have to hunt down a pumpkin!

Aliisa said...

From Aliisa:

Yes, its a version of apple butter...I have never had pear butter but Im sure its all the same principle. My daughter and I LOVE pumpkin butter...if you like pumpkin pie you will like pumpkin butter.

Aliisa said...

Love pumpkin butter! Have you ever tried it with little bits of dried cranberry in it? Yum! :)