Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bread

From Aliisa:

I have been reading Miriam's blog and Sally's blog alot lately and they both talk about making their own bread. This has me completely inching to make my own, but to be honest when I tried it years ago....it just didnt turn out as well as I would have liked. So here I am, years later and the only bread I make is the Peasant Bread recipe I got from Gayles Blog. So now, Im ready to try again. I would love some tips and some EASY bread recipes...preferably that use some wheat flour in them. We always eat wheat bread.

Thanks for sharing!!!

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Hey:) How did your bread turn out?? I'm glad that we (Sally & I) were able to encourage you do try it again :) I've wanted to try the Peasant Bread, but haven't yet.

Aliisa said...

From Aliisa:

The peasant bread is so easy its not even funny, but it turned out great. I havent tried anything that has to be kneaded yet. Im not sure I have a good recipe to try. Im still looking for one other than the peasant bread.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Sally said...

Aliisa, I am flattered that you want more bread-making info due to reading my blog! I spent the better part of my first married year figuring out why in the world my bread was a disaster nearly every single time (I was using the wrong flour!). Then, thanks to the King Arthur flour website, I now have perfect (or as nearly so as humans can get it) bread every single time. I plan to post some bread-baking tips/hints/discoveries sometime (has Miriam already given them to you?), hopefully before too long. If you want to browse info on the King Arthur website, here is the address http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/index.html

The very basic thing that you have to get right is to use flour that has a high and consistent protein level, such as 12 to 14 percent. I use only Robinhood flour or King Arthur bread flour. If you use cheap-o no-name flour, your bread will be a disaster.