Friday, October 10, 2008

Homemade Chicken soup with homemade noodles

From Aliisa:

Homemade Chicken Soup

I do cheat just a bit on this recipe but it turns out wonderful.

Ingredients
Boil 1 whole chicken or chicken breasts or parts whatever you have.
3 sliced carrots
3 chopped celery stalks
1 bay leaf
3 chicken bullion cubes
2 cans cream of chicken soup
poultry seasoning
thyme

Directions
Boil chicken with bullion and bay leaf. Reserve liquid. Debone chicken and dice and place back into the broth. Add enough water to equal about 6 cups.

Bring soup to a boil and add carrots and celery, cook till tender.

Add both cans of cream of chicken soup

Season to taste with poultry seasoning and thyme.

To add noodles of any kind, bring soup to a boil...add noodles and cook until tender. Serve with warm bread.


When I make this soup, I make homemade Egg Noodles. They are so easy to make and always turn out wonderful!! They are very hearty and will help any soup be really filling.

Egg Noodles

2 1/2 cups flour
1 pinch of salt
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 T butter

Stir flour and salt together. Mix egg, milk and butter together and add to the flour and salt mixture.

Knead till smooth (about 5 minutes)

Let rest 10 minutes

Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Cut into strips like noodles (I use a pizza cutter) or you can cut into squares like dumplings. You can use immediately or let them lay out and dry before using.

To cook, bring soup to a boil, toss in noodles and cook until they all float.

Hope you enjoy!!

2 comments:

Aliisa said...

From Sundy:

Holy frito pie! This DOES look easy...can't wait to try it! :)

Anonymous said...

I made the soup tonight AND the noodles. I'm quite proud of myself. I made my own "cream soup" to add. It was a hit with fam! THANKS!! My noodles were a bit thick, but I still liked them. Next time I'll do it thinner.