Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Scoot -- a family recipe

From Sundy:

The other day I mentioned on my family's website that I was looking for the recipe for Scoot. Scoot is a catch-all casserole dish that various members of my family would make, particularly when we were young and "just starting out," as the saying goes. I have no idea why it was called Scoot.

I had never actually made Scoot myself, but I'd eaten plenty of it while visiting different people in the family. I don't know if any of us would call it comfort food, exactly, but it is certain that every member of our family has eaten Scoot at least once. It is a family dish that is thoroughly cheap and satisfying...even though it isn't exactly the healthiest stuff. (But then again, look at McDonald's double cheeseburger!) :)

So after all of my siblings and I went back and forth about who had the nerve to add raisins to the recipe (we all flatly denied it), my mom posted the recipe so that I could post it here. The italicized portions are me.

"Scoot is [basically] eggs, Spam, potatoes, onions, and corn. [Per can of Spam, you could probably use 1-2 eggs, 2-3 medium potatoes, 1 onion, and one can of corn, though your proportions may vary according to taste.]

"Dice the Spam and onions. For the potatoes, I use the frozen hash brown cubes. [Or you could cube your own potatoes.]

"Put the potatoes, onions and Spam in a frying pan with a little grease (this sounds healthy!) and cook till taters and onions are soft. Stir a lot. (I think the name might turn people off). Then add the eggs and corn and stir.

"Raisins? probably they were in there once...and I've eaten it with carrots --YUCK. It's kind of a leftover throw-it-in dish. It's just a casserole that is good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner....and cheap and tasty...but SO unhealthy. The Spam is high in fat and salt...then there is the oil, and potatoes are starchy.

"I think it would make a good breakfast dish for a large group. Kids might like to drown it in ketchup."

And we all did...drown it in ketchup. We like it like that. :)

This is just one of our "family recipes." If someone in the family mentions Scoot, we all know instantly what it means and what it tastes like. Connections....I just love my family!

Have a family recipe that you'd like to share?

No comments: