Thursday, October 16, 2008

From Sundy:

Every family has a secret language.

When I say "secret," I don't necessarily mean we speak to each other in a language that no one else can understand. I'm talking about those words and phrases (or sometimes nonsense words) that form your intra-family communication. These are the things that you say to each other with complete understanding on both parts which might make other people who hear you raise their eyebrows and say, "Huh?" Sometimes they come from your children and are carried through the teen and adult years, and sometimes they arrive through the natural flirty-teasing that you have with your spouse or significant other.

For instance, in our family, cats are "kibbies" and dogs are "woh-wohs."

I keep food cold in the "Fridge-a-freighter," sometimes in "Lip-Zoc" bags.

When I put my hair up in a ponytail, I use a "hair pretty." (That and the Lip-Zocs were borrowed from my sister and her daughter -- and have completely stuck.)

Occasionally, I get very "corn-fused" about where my shoes (or some other temporarily misplaced item) might be, so I look in every "crook and nanny." If I find it, I might say to my husband, "Guess where I found my shoes?" No matter what his answer, I say, "Close, but no guitar!" (Yes, we are that strange.) :)

So....can anyone else relate....or am I "talking outta my elbow?"

1 comment:

Sally said...

My family had a lot of code words for a "secret language". My husband's family has a "secret language". I guess as our children grow up and our family has more time, we'll probably have our own secret language. I don't think I have ever heard of "talking out of your elbow" before!

Thanks for sharing something goofy and funny!