Monday, October 27, 2008

Convenience Mixes

From Aliisa:

I started my research into convenience mixes because I wanted an alternative to buying the expensive cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups. I found a great recipe but I also found lots of others too.

Here is the recipe for the cream of soups:

4 c. powdered milk
1 1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. instant chicken bouillon granules
4 tsp. dried onion flakes
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp basil - crushed dried
1 tsp. pepper

Measure all ingredients into a Ziploc Bag. Shake well, transfer to vacuum seal bag, seal and store up to a year.

To Use:
1/3 C mix
1 C water
Cook over low/med heat until thickened.

Variations: add 1/2 c. minced or chopped *_________*

*Choose One*:
Onions, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Broccoli, Celery, Cooked Chicken, Diced Potatoes, Tomato, Cooked Shrimp, etc.

For more convenience foods of all kinds, here are some links:

http://www.budget101.com/102mix.htm

http://www.momadvice.com/food/create_your_own_mixes.aspx

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/homemadeconveniencefoods.htm


There are several on these sites that look really good to me, I think I will have to pick up some ingredients and make some.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I made my first recipe using "homemade" cream of X soup mix last week!! I was so proud!! (is it wrong to be proud of a personal "accomplishment" like that?) I used my last can of cream of mushroom, and needed one more can, so I got out my cream soup mix recipe (which is very similar to yours) and mixed it up in my food processor. The recipe tasted great! I noticed a little difference in the flavor (probably from the spices in the mix), but it was still very good!

Aliisa said...

From Aliisa:

Im so glad to hear that it was good. Im really looking forward to trying these and saving some money.

And no, its not wrong to be so proud of a personal accomplishment like that. I think its fantastic!!

I did figure that it would taste a bit different and might even take a bit to get used to but in the long run, I think these are a healthier choice too.