Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Coffee Talk ;)

From Sundy:

I want to share a WONDERFUL coffee drink with you that I found in my Cheap, Fast, and Easy Cookbook . (Not to be confused with Cheap, Fast, Good -- one of Aliisa's and my favorite cookbooks.)

It's called Thai Coffee, and it tastes very much like one of those cold and tasty coffee drinks from ye olde coffee chain...without the $4+ price tag. Since I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, I'm just going to list the steps I use....because that's how very easy it is to make! :)

1. Find a microwave-safe container that will hold at least 16 oz of liquid and fill it with -- you guessed it -- 16 oz of water.

2. Stir in 4 teaspoons of instant coffee. My teaspoons tend to be a bit heaping. :)

3. Heat for 1 minute in your microwave and stir thoroughly.

4. Add 2-4 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk, stir again, then cover and chill for at least an hour. (Overnight works better for us, the caffeine-dependents.)

My son, who turns 15 soon, LOVES this stuff. He, like me, has a difficult time waking up in the morning. Now he drinks about 6-8 oz of Thai Coffee, and he feels "energized but not jittery." It wakes him up enough to eat breakfast, anyway. :) He actually likes it with less sweetened condensed milk than I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting...is it only good cold or is it something my wife could drink warm? do I need to get those creamers to add the good flavors to it?

Thanks!

Scythe aka Aliisa's Husband

Aliisa said...

I have had it warm, too, and I enjoy it. I've also added cinnamon to it. Yum-o!

Sweetened condensed milk can be found in the baking aisle and costs less than $1 at most places.

You could use other creamers, I suppose...the SCM adds a sort of caramel flavor to it. Like I said, my son likes less of the SCM than I do, so just play with the amounts until you get something you like, Scythe. :)