Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Make your own wipes

From Aliisa:

So one of my "hobbies" is to find ways to save money. For the last couple of years I have been making my own cleaning supples and I love it!! So today, since I have extra "me" time, I thought I would share these with you.

Make your own cleaning wipes

You will need a plastic container large enough to fit ½ a roll of paper towels in. I use a plastic ice cream container normally used for round ½ gallon containers of ice cream. You can use a coffee can, plastic container or even a 1 gallon size Ziploc.

For best results, select an extra-large roll of good quality paper towels for this project

Without removing the paper towel wrapper, use the electric knife to cut the paper towel roll into two shorter rolls. Save the second roll for a refill later.
Remove the wrapper, and place one short paper towel roll inside plastic food storage container. Using a liquid measuring cup, gently pour one of the following cleaning solution recipes over the top of the paper towel roll.

You will need between 2 and 4 cups of cleaning solution, depending on the size and absorbency of the paper towel product selected.

Place the lid on the plastic food storage container, and allow paper towels to absorb cleaning solution for 4 hours to overnight.

Open the food storage container. Gently pull the wet cardboard tube from the center of the paper towel roll and discard. Carefully pull the end of the paper towels from the inside, where the cardboard roll had been.

Any of these can be used as the solution for the wipes or you can make it up in a spray bottle.
General Surface Cleaning:
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

*this works great, I have been using it for years.

Disinfectant Cleaning:

1/4 to 1/2 cup pine cleaning solution such as Pine-Sol brand
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup water

Disinfecting Wipes:

Make wipes and then pour alcohol in and allow it to absorb.

½ roll paper towels
1 bottle alcohol

*I got this idea from one of my favorite blogs...here is the link: http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html

All Purpose Cleaner ( like 409)

16 oz trigger spray bottle (or use in wipes)
2 Tablespoons distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon of borax
Water (if you have hard water this needs to be distilled or purified water, otherwise use tap)
1/8 of a cup of mild liquid dish soap (ivory, palmolive….)

*I love this cleaner!!! I use this in my wipes and it works great. I also keep a spray bottle of it for all sorts of purposes*

Window and Glass Cleaning:

1/2 cup rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

*This works great. I just make it in my empty Windex bottle

1 comment:

Aliisa said...

From Sundy:
I use some of these, too, and I also love them. Love the simplicity, love the cheapness, love the way it cleans. Esp. my mirrors! I thought my mirror was clean before, but wow!

Don't worry about the vinegar smell, by the way, from the all-purpose cleaner. It does go away! :)