Thursday, September 18, 2008

10-minute Chili

From Sundy:

Today I was running a bit late before heading out to work, but I needed to get something cooked really quick for dinner for my husband and son. I had already made them "fend" last night, so I didn't want to do that again.

I went to my freezer and pulled out one of my Ziplocs full of frozen, already cooked ground turkey. I set a pot on the stove on medium, spritzed it with a little olive oil, and dumped in the meat. While it was thawing in the pot (and I do have to stir and break it up a bit while it's thawing), I pulled out a family-size can of ranch beans with jalapeno, a regular can of kidney beans (for color), and a small can of tomato paste. After a bit, when the meat was all warm, I dumped in the two cans of beans. Then I stirred in about 1/2 cup of water to the tomato paste in a bowl and dumped that in the pot, too. I seasoned with some chili powder, cumin, and paprika to taste. (Remember, the meat was already cooked with onions, garlic, salt and pepper.)

Voila! Chili for four in less than 10 minutes! (Note: You can use whatever beans, spices, etc. you like. The basics for my chili are meat, beans, tomato paste sauce, and spice.)

And that's why I cook some of my meat ahead of time...it is SUCH a time-saver for me.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

don't you love it when you can throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and call it done? Since I'm a SAHW now I don't do as much freezer cooking, but I still try to keep a few RTE (ready to eat) things for emergencies.

Aliisa said...

Oh goodness, yes! My favorite recipes are the ones where I dump three or four cans of something in a pot or casserole dish, add a couple of fresher ingredients, and then heat it all up. I call those my "dump-a-can" recipes. I'm always looking for more.