Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hurricane Talk

From Sundy:

Getting prepared for a hurricane does not have to be a budget-cruncher, although in past years it has for me....not this year, though! YAY!

One thing I noticed in the last several weeks of multi-hurricane dodging is how many people are hitting the stores, trying to stock up on batteries, water, canned food, etc. -- EVERY TIME. I think about going into the store with all of those other people, and I want to run and hide. So I put it off, and then I'm stuck without what I need -- or I have to dig into other budget items...and that happened year after year.

My name is Sundy, and I am a procrastinator.

However, for the last several months, I have been stocking up -- in my own way. Whenever I have an empty drink bottle, I clean it and fill it with water, then stash it under my sink. I now have plenty of water for each member of my family and pets, and then some. Yay!

Batteries, well...we always have flashlights and spare batteries because batteries are always on my "stock up" list. (More on that in another post.) So are canned goods.

I do want a good kinetic power flashlight and weather radio...you know, the kind that you hand-crank or shake in order to get power? I have yet to find one on sale, and to me, though they make things easier, they are a "want" rather than a "need."

We already have a well-stocked first aid kit, so I don't need to worry about that either. And there are, of course, other things on the list...but the aforementioned are foremost in my mind.

So, little by little, I have prepared my family for the possibility of the hurricane hitting us, but I have not broken my budget. I'm feeling good, so far. :)

No comments: