Thursday, September 11, 2008

ShipWreck Skillet Dinner

From Aliisa:

Today I wanted to share a quick, easy and inexpensive meal. I got this out of my Cheap, Fast and Good Cookbook. My family loves this recipe and its so easy to make, I save this for those days when I just dont have alot of time to cook.

ShipWreck Skillet Dinner under 25 minutes to make.

1 can (14oz) fat free beef broth (I usually use bullion cubes to make the broth)
1 cup long-grain rice
1 pound ground meat (I use turkey, its less expensive and less fat)
1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
1 clove fresh garlic or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
1 T worcestershire sauce (I use more but we like the flavor)
1/2 tsp seasoning salt or just plain salt
1 medium size green bell pepper chopped (I must admit, I usually dont put this in because I dont have it on hand)
1 cup frozen yellow corn
black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Pour the broth and 1/4 cup water into a covered saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in an extra deep 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop.

3. Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook until crumbled and browned.

4. Add garlic, worcestershire sauce and salt. Chop bell pepper and add it and the corn to the skillet.

5. Cook until green pepper is tender. Remove from heat and set aside until Rice is done.

6. Stir the rice into the beef mixture and season with black pepper.

1 comment:

Mrs. X said...

1 lb, one pan, one happy family! :) Thanks for sharing!